" Going to Meet the Man" by James Baldwin

Sunday, May 2, 2010

"We Real Cool" by Gwendolyn Brooks

An author who really impressed me was Gwendolyn Brooks! I read through three of her short poems and I can see why Alice Walker made her statement about Brooks. In The Norton Anthology Literature book Walker states, "If there was a born poet I think think it is Brooks" (2537). Ms. Brooks speaks her mind and the words flow from her heart in these poems the Kitchenette building, the mother, and "We Real Cool". I really liked doing the individual project on Gwendolyn Brooks. The neatest part was being able to hear her speak and listen to what type of opinion she had about making this poem "We Real Cool".

We all have our perceptions and feelings when we read poems and stories, not everyone will think alike when they are finished reading it. To hear Ms. Brooks state exactly how she meant it and what her thoughts were when she wrote the poem gave us a chance to compare our thoughts with hers. Not very often are we able to compare our thoughts with the authors. We usually only compare thoughts with each other and try to grasp the meaning of the piece this way. Overall, I must say I do enjoy Mrs. S. providing the Pronto sessions for us to communicate. It honestly helps me understand the story when the questions I have are answered about the things I do not understand!! It is also nice to chat with others to get their point of view and see how they perceive the story. Thanks again, Mrs. Siemens for all your help, support, and views on different authors!! =)

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you in enjoying this selection. There are poems that stand out. This one stands out as it speaks about something that reflects upon the soul and the choices that one makes. One destiny may not be great, yet common sense rings out. One makes decisions in the little things. When one learns that these little differences make big differences in the long run, then one is on the pathway to maturity. I think this is why the poem is so well known. It speaks to anyone who has an ear to understand. Choices make a difference and the difference is from within, not without. One can go through life pointing fingers, yet what is one doing with one's personal accountability. She makes an outstanding point that rings into the heart of its readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very much enjoyed Brooks writings as well. I also enjoyed listening to her on line as she read "We real cool". In her voice you could hear her emphasis on words that made this short writing so powerful. Certainly, she was speculating on the status of the pool players who were hanging out instead of being at school, etc. Her voice added an interesting additional element to me and I enjoyed being exposed to this.

    ReplyDelete