" Going to Meet the Man" by James Baldwin

Thursday, May 6, 2010

"Going to Meet the Man" by James Baldwin

I honestly did not enjoy reading this story "Going to Meet the Man" by James Baldwin. This story made my entire body shutter as tears raced down my face. The inhumane cruelty being inflicted upon the black people tore my heart into pieces. The punishment one man received for others singing was insane and carried out with pleasure by the deputy sheriff. The white man treated another human being as if he were an animal. What was the reason for going to meet the man was it due to something the man said or did to Jesse's mother? I never fully understood the reason behind the so called "picnic", I did not like this terminology either, besides if it was sexual it does take two to tango. By the time I reached this section of the story my blood was already boiling over and deep feelings of hatred had already entered mind. I realize it is wrong to hate the person or I feel we should not hate the person just hate the act they committed. It is so easy for anyone of us to judge and hate someone for what they have done, especially when it directly involves us or a family member. People are raised differently all over this world and so there is a need to take that into consideration. Nobody is perfect we are all unique, but a difference can be made when we swallow our hate or pride and take time out to learn and understand another human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment